Sunday, October 25, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine

I think that the H1N1 flu (or swine flu) has been at the top of every one's health concerns lately so H1N1 vaccinations are going to be my first topic.

For some reason, this vaccine has been quite controversial. Many people are afraid to get it because they do not believe it to be safe. They don't believe that we have had time to test it and think that there may be side affects. I do not believe this to be the case. We have been manufacturing flu vaccines for years and they are completely safe and help prevent millions of people from getting the flu each year. H1N1 is just another strain of flu and the manufacturing of this vaccine is no different than what we have done in the past for the seasonal flu. The vaccine should be completely safe.

Many people have asked me whether or not I am going to have myself vaccinated. A couple of months ago, I would have said no. This is not because of any safety issues with the vaccine itself, but simply because I do not think that the swine flu is that big of a deal. It actually might be nice to get it and get immunity to it and be done with it. Now that I am pregnant, my answer is yes. The swine flu is much more dangerous to individuals who have some sort of immune deficiency, pregnancy included. I do plan to get the vaccine, but I am not going to go down to the health department and spend the night in a tent waiting in line for hours to get it. I am going to wait for all of the craziness and excitement to calm down and probably just get it from my doctor's office later when they hold a vaccination clinic.

Will I have my daughter vaccinated? Most likely not. She is a healthy child and although she is young, I don't think it would be a big deal if she came down with the swine flu. Like I said before, it might be nice for her get it, get immunity, and then not have to worry about it anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Wait...did I know you were pregnant? Did I miss that, or did i just forget??!

    Anyway...this has been a hot topic at our school - the school was going to hold a free shot clinic (when the shots finally get here) and sent home permission slips to all the kids. In the meantime, swine flu started going around the school and lots of kids have gotten it. I guess only a couple kids' parents signed the permission slip after that, since almost everyone has been exposed to it by now anyway. Driving the school nurse crazy, I bet, haha!

    I agree that for those with compromised immune systems, etc. that flu shots are definitely beneficial, but widespread use of flu shots just to avoid getting it kind of rubs me the wrong way - I don't like the idea of all of us never building up natural immunity to anything and letting our body systems do their jobs...and I think there are lots of other things we can all do to stay healthier and improve our immune systems...and lastly - I don't think the flu is that big of a deal. Like anything, there are those who will not react normally and will get really sick and/or die - but that goes for everything from allergies to colds to even getting in the car every day.

    Anyway - great blog - I'll look forward to reading more about your ideas and insights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting this blog! :) After reading Sandy's comment, I have a question - is it any better to get sick and then be immune to something ("building up natural immunity" as Sandy put it) than to be vaccinated for the same thing? Or is it pretty much the same either way? Is one way better than the other?

    ReplyDelete